Monday, July 16, 2012

Tool #9

Tool #9 asks me to answer a series of questions, here are my thoughts:
  1. Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective? Pulling technology into objectives ensures that the technology is used for learning and exploration, rather than solely using it for review purposes. Our students are going to have a very different work place that what we have now, so they have to get used to putting their hands on a keyboard or a device as much as possible.
  2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers? Students should treat their classroom as a "home away from home". The things in the classroom should be treated with responsibility, just like at home. The teacher should pre-teach explicitly before letting the kids loose with technology and the expectations should be very clear. Also, they need to see technology as a resource for learning, so most activities should be assessed in some way.
  3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? I really liked Tutpup because of the competitive aspect and how accesible it is young students. I could see setting up computers at a table and letting them "spare" as they play a few rounds of the game. This could be fit into partner reading time during reader's workshop or math station time. I could have them report back to me on how many rounds they won. Of course, I would ensure the partners were homogeneously grouped. On Studyladder, I found a few animal sort games that could be great for the kids to do and print out as an assignment.
  4. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? There was alot of useful sites on SBISD Interactive Base. Something that stood out to me was 2DOKU because I can see how the kids would enjoy this in and outside of school. This could be loaded on to ipod touches and used during math stations. I could have them show me their results in between my math groups. For a social studies activity, I noticed American Presidents 2 in 1. I could create a google doc with questions for the kids to search for within this app.
  5. What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station. I would like to use ipod touch for handwriting review and reinforcement. Letting the kids use the verbal path to trace letters and sight words would be a great way to involve tactile learning styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment